Monday, October 29, 2007

Reporter's Way Of Thinking

The first passage I picked deals with writing not for the general people, but for the people you are writing about...
Simon is an authenticity freak. He said, “I’m the kind of person who, when I’m writing, cares above all about whether the people I’m writing about will recognize themselves. I’m not thinking about the general reader. My greatest fear is that the people in the world I’m writing about will read it and say, ‘Nah, there’s nothing there.’ ”
I never thought about it before like this. It does seem important to write for who you are writing about. If you write incorrectly about a person, or do not portray them correctly, you can make them look like something they are not. Yes, you can write a follow up story and set it straight, but not everyone will read it that read the first story. It may also not change their mind even if they do read it.

FINISH

No comments: