Monday, October 22, 2007

Read this, you @#$%!

(1) Is he insulting his readers, or giving them a sly pat on the back? (2) What things about Morford's style of writing appeal to you, and what things turn you off? (3) How well suited would you guess his style is for readers in San Francisco? For online readers irrespective of location? (4) How would Morford's column fly in a conservative, Midwestern town like Springfield? With older readers? With people in your demographic? Could it be toned down without losing its appeal

Whe I first read the assiment, I expected to see all sorts of vulger language in Mark Morford's article, "Eat this, you fat, sad idiot." While I was reading it, I found it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
For me, I don't believe he is insulting his readers, unless you are a former frat guy. He is simply telling us how he feels about fast food in our country. It is very possible for people to take offense to his style of writing. Perhaps, readers in San Fransico or other parts of California will take it more lightly then if it was published here in Springfield. Honestly, I would be surprised to see this article in the SJR.
I like his way of writing. It was opinionated, but he was able to get his point across well. This is my opinion though. Others could sit down and read the article, and as soon as it got offensive, they would turn the page, never knowing what he really wanted to say.
He used a lot more sarcasm then he did bad language, which i think helps him not loose as many readers. An example of his sarcasm can be seen in the paragraph where he talks about how we don't have laws on fast food but we do on telemarketing,
"Hell, we did it with telemarketing. One little much-needed law and boom, a national Do-Not-Call registry, and it actually mostly works and now all those vile cretins who used to call you during dinner to sell you carpet cleaning services now simply spam your e-mail account until it staggers and collapses and shuts down your e-mail server. Yay!"
It's ashame there are a lot of people out there that won't read something if it goes against their way of thinking. I would read his work again, but then again, I'm not closed minded.

No comments: